The “Friends” is a registered charity run entirely by volunteers. By volunteering you can help the Friends, and in doing so, the Reserve by giving your time and enthusiasm, whilst at the same time discovering more about the Reserve, its wildlife & its management.
“Friends” volunteers can carry out a wide range of tasks but they don’t always have to be either outdoors or energy sapping! Perhaps you could put your organisational, IT, administrative or financial skills to good use? Amongst tasks currently carried out by volunteers are:
- Managing the Visitor Centre including greeting and assisting visitors Running the Herons Rest café including serving drinks and light snacks
- Wildlife surveying
- Practical conservation work on the Reserve (under supervision of a Warden)
- Assisting at events run by the Friends (e.g. Creepy Crawly Day) and the Wardens
- Participating in the Horsham Green Gym
- General and financial administration & record keeping
- Serving as Trustees and on the management committee
Remember ! You don’t need to be an expert, enthusiasm is far more important !!
Whether you have a day or an hour of time to give …. find out more and help make a difference!
We currently have some specific roles we are trying to fill:
Role – Treasurer
- Maintenance of accounting records
- Bank account management
- Production of Annual Accounts
- Liaison with Independent Examiner for Annual Accounts
- Agreeing a budget with the Trustees
- Periodic reporting of actual finances against budget
- Oversight of financial controls
The successful applicant should be an able communicator with good IT skills, and ideally be someone with relevant knowledge and experience.
FoWLNR is considering implementing a commercial accounting package and knowledge of such could be beneficial.
The role can include Trusteeship of the charity if desired, but this is not a pre-requisite.
Because of the nature of the role, it will be necessary for background checks to be performed.
Please apply to firstname.lastname@example.org and provide details of any relevant experience along with details of why you would be suited to this role.
Role – Herons Rest Volunteer
- Selling permits
- Selling a small range of goods and snacks
- Welcoming visitors to the reserve
- Other duties consistent with this role
Support and training will be provided
- Good communication skills
- Friendly and welcoming nature
- Organisational skills.
Please leave your contact details with the staff at the Herons Rest or telephone on 01403 756238 or e-mail us through our contact page.